In the 1880s, land in Fayette County and elsewhere in South Central Texas was cheap, selling for as little as $1 an acre. The bargains attracted successive waves of German, Bohemian, Greek, Arabian and Italian immigrants to Fayette County. Their impact on the region has pervaded its architecture, food, religion and culture.
- La Grange Historic Driving/Walking Tour
This self-guided tour of the Fayette County seat allows visitors to see some of the original pre-1900 buildings, homes and churches of La Grange.
- Monument Hill and Kreische Brewery State Historic Sites
Two groups of Texans martyred in conflicts with Mexico during the 1840s, when Texas was a Republic, are entombed at Monument Hill. Also on the property is the Kreische Brewery, an important and unique early Texas industrial site. Heinrich Kreische, a master stone mason, immigrated to Texas in 1846. His brewery was one of the first commercial breweries in Texas.
- Fayetteville Precinct Courthouse
Built in 1880 in Fayetteville, the courthouse has the courtroom on the first floor, with the jury room and jail on the second floor. The courthouse clock still strikes the hour. Many buildings facing the courthouse square have 1890s false fronts. Located on the north side of Texas 159.
Early settler Louis Schulenburg donated the land for the railroad depot in 1873. The town of Schulenburg has many buildings in the 400 to 600 blocks of North Main Street that date from the 1870s.
- Painted Churches Tour
The structures, located near Schulenburg in the communities of Dubina, High Hill, Ammannsville, and Praha appear unassuming as you approach them, but as you enter the front doors prepare to have your breath taken away by the beauty found inside.
- Round Top
Once a part of the Austin Colony Settlement, Round Top is the smallest incorporated town in Texas. Located in northern Fayette County on Cummins Creek, the town is said to have received its name from an early stage stop known as "the house with the round top." Round Top is listed in the "100 Best Small Art Towns in America." The Round Top Historical Society Museum charts the town's history. A walking tour guide of the historic district is available free at the Chamber office.
- Henkel Square Museum Village
Located on Round Top's Historic Town Square, Henkel Square Museum Village is a nationally recognized collection of authentically restored 19th century Anglo-American homes, barn, smokehouse, church, and one-room school house all filled with one-of-a-kind Texas Pioneer artifacts. This park-like setting is great for tours, weddings, reunions, and corporate retreats.
- The Sterling McCall Old Car Museum
Vehicles from the prized collection of Sterling McCall, the first Toyota dealer in Texas, are included in this important display that characterizes the evolution of America's automobile industry. Eighty automobiles span the history between 1908 and 1960 in two large showrooms. Located near Round Top.
- Bethlehem Lutheran Church
Located in Round Top, this is the oldest active Lutheran congregation in Texas. The church was built in 1866 of local sandstone and native cedar and boasts a hand-made cedar pipe organ made locally in 1867. Marked graves in the cemetery date back to the 1850s.
- International Festival-Institute at Round Top (Festival Hill)
World-renowned concert pianist James Dick created a 200-acre campus and organization to operate one of the major music festivals in the United States. Begun with a handful of gifted young pianists, the project is now an internationally acclaimed, European-styled music institute for aspiring young musicians and distinguished faculty. Each summer, the institute hosts a festival featuring classical performers.
The Winedale Historical Center is a branch of The University of Texas at Austin. The 190-acre facility includes visitor center/museum, restored historic structures, Lake Winedale, nature trail and a picnic area. Located three miles northeast of Round Top on 1457.
- Lake Fayette
Lake Fayette is the 2,400-acre cooling pond for a Fayette Power Project owned by LCRA and City of Austin. The lake is a popular fishing destination, with two lake access points, Park Prairie and Oak Thicket, on Texas 159.
- E.A. Arnim Archives and Museum
Located in the city of Flatonia, this museum contains many antiques, artifacts and documents which represent the history of Flatonia and the surrounding towns.