Sand, Sun and Adventure at Matagorda Bay Nature Park, Texas
A special place awaits you where the lower Colorado River meets the Gulf of Mexico. Matagorda Bay Nature Park, Texas, is a great place to relax at the beach and explore hundreds of acres of coastal marshes and dunes. Click here to learn about Outdoor Programs offered.
Matagorda Bay Nature Park is a 1,600-acre park and preserve at the mouth of the Colorado River on the Matagorda Peninsula. LCRA developed the park to provide recreation, education, wetlands preservation and economic benefit to the region.
The park has about two miles of Gulf of Mexico and two miles river frontage and hundreds of acres of coastal marshes and dunes. It is one of the best birding areas in the nation. LCRA acquired the property in 2001 as part of its commitment to preserve natural resources for future generations and to provide science education, recreation and nature tourism opportunities.
• 22 General Camping Sites: These sites back up to FM 2031, located adjacent to the RV Park. These sites have both 30/50 amp electrical service, sewer connections and a picnic table.
• 5 Pull-Through Sites: Located on the interior roads of the park, these pull-through sites have an obstructed view of the river, have both 30/50 amp electrical service, sewer connections and a picnic table.
• 24 Preferred Sites: Located on the the interior roads of the park, these sites have an obstructed view of the river, have both 30/50 amp electrical service, sewer connections and a picnic table.
• 19 Waterfront Camping Sites: Located on the waterfront, these sites have both 30/50 amp electrical service, sewer connections and a picnic table.
Designated Group Picnic Area Partially shaded site for groups of up to 50. Includes a large grill, picnic tables, and a large serving table.
Rest rooms and showers are available for all park guests.
The park contains a small store, a kayak rental facility, a laundry room and modern bathrooms with showers located conveniently right in the middle of the campground.
During the peak seasons of spring and fall, and for all holidays, facilities book out early. Please book your reservation well in advance to reserve your camping or event site. Reservations can be made online at www.lcra.org/reserve for a $6 transaction fee per site or by calling 1-855-392-7638 for a $7.50 transaction fee per site. Reservations must be made more than 48 hours in advance of your arrival date. To check availability within 48 hours of your arrival call the park directly at 512-369-4778 or 800-776-LCRA, ext 4778.
Prior written permission shall be obtained from LCRA for any organized group activity on LCRA land involving 20 or more individuals. For additional information call (800) 776-LCRA, Ext. 4778.
Hours and Contact Info:
Day Use visitors are allowed in the park from dawn to dusk. Overnight campers must be registered at the park. Call campground at (800)776-LCRA, Ext. 4778 to check hours of operation.
(800) 776-5272, Ext. 4778
Natural Science Center:
(800) 776-5272, Ext. 4740 E-mail: Natural Science Center:
Email us through Ask LCRA
Submit questions or comments to Ask LCRA Address:
6430 FM 2031
Matagorda, TX 77457