Starcke Dam and Lake Marble Falls

Ten floodgates now modernized

water_starcke.jpgStarcke Dam, owned by LCRA, creates Lake Marble Falls.

Starcke Dam has the distinction of being the smallest in the Highland Lakes chain and the last one completed. The lake and dam were constructed from 1949 to 1951 for hydroelectricity. Originally named Marble Falls, the dam was renamed in 1962 for Max Starcke, LCRA's second general manager. He served from 1940 to 1955.

LCRA has replaced the dam's 50-year-old "bear trap" floodgates with hydraulic gates.

For information about parks on Lake Marble Falls, see map of parks and recreation areas.

​FYI: Starcke Dam

Smallest Highland Lakes Dam


Location: Burnet County, 382 river miles from the Gulf of Mexico
Year built: 1949 to 1951
Dam dimensions:
98.8 feet high,
859.5 feet long
Primary purpose: Hydroelectric power
Generating capacity: 41.4 megawatts
Top of dam: 738 feet above msl
Floodgates: 10
Total discharge capacity: 109,200 cubic feet per second (cfs):

  • 10 floodgates @ 10,100 cfs each

 

  • 2 turbines @ 4,100 cfs each


Original name: Marble Falls Dam



Details on Lake Marble Falls


Lake area: 545 acres
Elevation when full: 737 feet above mean sea level (msl)
Volume when full: 7,186 acre-feet
Historic high: 756.3 feet above msl on Sept. 11, 1952
Historic low: 715 feet above msl on Oct. 4, 1983
Target operating range: 736.2 to 737 feet above msl
100-year flood level at dam: 754.3 feet above msl
Dimensions: 5.75 miles long and 1,080 feet at widest point