Henne-Comal Transmission Line Upgrade
The project goes from the Henne Substation near exit 195 on Interstate 35 to the Comal Substation near Landa Park in New Braunfels.
LCRA Transmission Services Corporation (TSC) will upgrade the existing 7.51-mile, 138-kilovolt (kV) transmission line by replacing the existing lattice steel structures with new steel poles and installing new conductors to increase the electrical capacity of the line. Some substation equipment will also be upgraded at the Henne and Comal substations.
This area around New Braunfels is experiencing significant growth that is expected to continue. The upgrade will address the need for increased capacity and reliability in the corridor between New Braunfels and San Marcos, and in surrounding areas.
Key Project Milestones:
- Project approved by LCRA Board: April 2015.
- Project engineering scheduled completion: Fall 2017.
- Planned start of construction on phase 1: Winter 2017.
- Planned phase 1 construction completion: Summer 2018.
- Planned start of construction on phase 2: Early 2019.
- Planned phase 2 construction completion: Summer 2019.