Open records information
Texas law gives the public the right to access records of governmental agencies, including those of LCRA. Information generally is presumed available to the public. However, there are exceptions.
In general, state law requires governmental bodies to promptly release requested information – as long as it is not confidential by law or involves information for which an exception to disclosure has been sought. Please note that although some records may be directly released upon request, most records pass through a review process. In keeping with state law, LCRA will respond in a reasonable time frame.
To view or obtain copies of LCRA records, there are several options:
- Visit LCRA’s offices in person at 3700 Lake Austin Blvd., Austin, Texas 78703
- Email your request to [email protected]. If you do not receive a confirmation message within two business days of placing a request, contact Records Department – Open Records at 512-578-3245
- Mail your request to: Custodian of Public Records, LCRA, P.O. Box 220, Austin, TX 78767-0220
Effective Sept 1, 2007, the Texas Legislature adopted H.B. 2564, which authorizes a governmental body, such as LCRA, to establish a process of charging a fee if the time required for information production from a single requestor exceeds 36 hours during a fiscal year.
In such cases, LCRA is authorized to provide the requestor with a written estimate of the total cost, including materials, personnel time and overhead expenses, necessary to comply with the request. The written estimate must be provided to the requestor on or before the 10th day after the date on which the public information was requested.
The amount of this charge shall be established by rules prescribed by the Texas attorney general under Sections 552.262(a) and (b). Certain members of the media, 501(c)(3) publicly funded legal services organizations and elected officials are exempted from these charges.
Learn more by going to these links:
- Texas Legislature, HB2564
- Office of the Attorney General, information on charges from the Public Information Handbook