Highland Lakes Watershed Ordinance
To reduce the impact of stormwater pollution, the ordinance requires development within the area to protect water quality and reduce creek erosion by providing:
- Approved water quality management facilities (vegetated filter strips and/or water quality basins) to collect stormwater runoff.
- Buffer zones that remain free of development. Read the Property Owner’s Guide to Buffer Zones.
- Temporary erosion and sediment controls.
- Permanent systems to minimize sediment migration from the site.
LCRA encourages the use of native and adapted plants and discourages the use of chemicals on landscapes, which may have a negative impact on water quality.
New quarries and mines are covered under the HLWO and must implement measures similar to other development. Read the fact sheet.
Dredge and fill activities standards also are included in the ordinance. Typical activities that fall under this portion of the ordinance include:
- Shoreline stabilization.
- Retaining walls.
- Removal of sediment from lakebeds.
Small projects may be authorized without a permit by submitting a written notification and erosion/sediment control plan.
Submit questions, comments or complaints through Contact LCRA.
- Highland Lakes Watershed Ordinance
- Map of inspection regions and phone numbers of program staff
- Conservation landscaping stormwater credits
- Technical manual: Guide for engineers and developers
- Section I – Development
- Chapter 1 – Permitting Requirements and Procedures
- Chapter 2 – Development Activity Meeting Water Quality Protection Performance Standards
- Chapter 3 – Erosion and Sediment Control Best Management Practices
- Chapter 4 – Development Activity Permanent Water Quality Treatment Best Management Practices
- Chapter 5 – Permanent BMP Maintenance Guidelines
- Chapter 6 – Development Activity Dredge and Fill Standards on the Highland Lakes
- Section II – Quarry and Mine Activity
- Download Excel worksheet to calculate water quality volume and the size of permanent water quality management features under the Highland Lakes Watershed Ordinance
- Dredge and fill standards
- HLWO Technical Manual Policy Bulletin – BMP Details
- Fee schedule