​​Need More Information?

Submit your questions or comments to Ask LCRA.

Take Our Parks Survey

Tell us about your LCRA Park experiences — take our parks survey.


LCRA Parks

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the questions below to get answers about park reservations, park use and animals (domestic and wildlife)

Park Reservations

Where can I find answers to questions about rules and regulations on LCRA land and water?
How and when can you make reservations?​
  • Reservations can be made online at www.lcra.org/reserve for a nonrefundable $6 fee per site, or by calling 855-392-7638 for a nonrefundable $7.50 fee per site.  The toll​-free number is available from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday; closed for New Years Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
  • There is a $7.50 nonrefundable service charge per site for online and/or call center cancellations, transfers and changes.
  • Reservations at LCRA parks must be made at least 48 hours in advance. No reservations will be accepted within 48 hours of arrival, and campers will be checked in on a first-come, first-served basis at the park. Within 48 hours of an arrival time, campers are encouraged to call individual parks to check availability before driving to the park.
Which LCRA parks take reservations?
What are the operation hours of LCRA parks?
LCRA parks are open for public use from dawn to dusk for day users and 24 hours a day for campers. Boat ramps may be used by night fisherman to launch boats only (day use rates apply).
What is Travis County's information number?
It is 512-854-PARK (7275).
Why is LCRA written on the signs for the Travis County parks?
Years ago LCRA partnered with Travis County Parks Department for operation of several Lake Travis area parks. At that point, all operation and maintenance of the parks was handed over. Contact the Travis County Parks Department for more information on these facilities.
Which LCRA parks have cabins?

Mini-cabins in the following parks have limited amenities (no private bathrooms). They have bunk beds with mattresses but no linens. They have electricity and lights, air conditioning/heat and grills outside.

Which parks have RV hookups?
What is a recreation area and how much do they cost?
Recreation areas are parks that are rustic in nature. They are usually remote and have few facilities, if any, and no running water. They provide a more natural camping experience and excellent access to Lake Travis. Some recreation areas are day-use only.
  • Lake Buchanan
  • Cedar Point, free
  • Lake Travis
  • Narrows, day-use only, free (boat ramp access 24 hours)
  • Grelle, Muleshoe Bend. Shaffer Bend, and Turkey Bend, $5 per person; $2 per person for senior citizens and disabled individuals; free to children 12 years old and younger. Camping is $10 a night.
  • Gloster Bend, day-use only, $5 per person; $2 per person for senior citizens and disabled individuals; free to children 12 years old and younger.
  • Camp Creek, free with 24-hour boat ramp access
What are the fees at your other parks?
Entry and campsite fees vary. Call LCRA Parks at 800-776-5272, Ext. 3366, or 512-473-3366 or see the LCRA parks fee schedule.
Is my federal/state/county annual pass good at LCRA parks?
  • No. There is no reciprocity for passes issued by other park agencies.
  • LCRA parks are not part of the Texas State Parks system, for which the pass is intended. LCRA parks do not receive taxpayers' dollars to help support park operations.
Why do I have to pay a day use fee if I am staying overnight at the park?
In many of our parks, the day use fee is the only fee for staying in the park whether your stay is day use or overnight. In our developed parks, this fee goes toward taking care of the parks' general facilities and the site fees help maintain the campgrounds specifically.
What is the Colorado River Trail, where does it go and how long is it?
The Colorado River Trail stretches about 600 river miles from the pecan orchards of San Saba to the Gulf of Mexico. Visit our Colorado River Trail page to explore the variety of activities and events taking place in the many counties that are home to the lower Colorado River.
I'm a schoolteacher and want to take my junior high class to a local park. What should we expect? Who do I contact? Is there a special discount for classes of students?
Pre-kindergarten through 12th grade students, homeschoolers, Scouts and other youth development groups can learn about water quality, wildlife, geology and other science and natural history topics in our TEKS-aligned programs.

One-day and multi-day programs are offered. For more information, call McKinney Roughs Nature Park at 800-776-5272, Ext. 8001, or visit our web page.

Park Use

Can I hunt on LCRA parkland?
The transportation, possession or use of firearms, or any other type of weapon, and any and all types of hunting on LCRA land or LCRA water are illegal under state law and are strictly prohibited. See Land and Water Use Regulations. For further information, call LCRA Parks at 800-776-5272, Ext. 3366,or 512-473-3366.
Can I take a gun into an LCRA park if I have a gun permit?
Registered, concealed handguns are permissible in LCRA parks if the person in possession of the concealed handgun has a valid concealed handgun holder permit issued by the State of Texas.
Where is the best place to go fishing?
Fishing is popular on all of the Highland Lakes, Lake Fayette and Lake Bastrop. Oak Thicket Park and the Bastrop parks provide good access to Lake Fayette and Lake Bastrop and ample shoreline fishing for non-boaters. Visit TPWD at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/ for further information on inland fishing opportunities.
Are boats available for rent at LCRA parks?
Canoes and kayaks are available for rent at South Shore Park, Matagorda Bay Nature Park and Canyon of the Eagles Nature Park. There are no rental facilities for motor boats at LCRA parks.
Is there any place I can bow fish?
Yes. ​Refer to LCRA​'s​ Land and Water Use Regulations​ for more information.
Can I use jet skis any time on the Highland Lakes? Lake Bastrop? Lake Fayette?
Yes. There is typically no ban at any time on jet skis on Lake Buchanan on down to Lake Travis, except during and after a flood when a lot of debris is in the water. This is true also for Lake Bastrop and Lake Fayette. The City of Austin imposes a ban on personal watercraft on Lake Austin during holiday weekends. For further information, contact Austin Parks and Recreation at 512-974-6700.
How do I report a boating accident?
To report a boating accident or any other accident on LCRA property, call LCRA Ranger Dispatch at 866-527-2267 or 512-482-6322.
What are the rules about alcohol and drug use in LCRA parks?
Public consumption of alcohol is not permitted. The use of illegal drugs is strictly prohibited on LCRA park land.
Are any LCRA parks good specifically for mountain biking?
Many of LCRA's parks provide trails with mountain bike access, but the most popular destination in the Lake Travis area is Muleshoe Bend recreation area. Also, South Shore Park on Lake Bastrop opened a new trail for all bike users in spring 2008 and is encouraging the mountain biking community to try it out.
Can we take home the arrowheads we find in a park?
No. Leave arrowheads or any archaeological or historical object behind for the next visitor to enjoy. See Land and Water Use Regulations.
Can I use an ATV on LCRA parkland?
ATVs are not allowed on LCRA parkland. See Land and Water Use Regulations.
Can I use a metal detector on LCRA parkland?
Using a metal detector is not allowed on LCRA parkland. See Land and Water Use Regulations.

Animals (Domestic and Wildlife)

Which parks are recommended for birding?
All LCRA parks have various species of birds to watch. However, two parks are known especially for birding opportunities.


  • The region where Matagorda Bay Nature Park is located on the Gulf Coast has an international reputation for birding and is a popular flyway for millions of migrating birds.
  • Canyon of the Eagles Nature Park on Lake Buchanan is a popular park to encounter protected bird species such as the golden-cheeked warbler and the black-capped vireo. Keep in mind that half of the park trails are closed from March until the end of August to protect the habitat of these birds during breeding season. You may also go on the Vanishing Texas River Cruise for an opportunity to spot the American bald eagle.
What kind of wildlife can I expect to see in LCRA parks?
The majority of LCRA's parks are located in the Hill Country region of Texas with an abundance of white-tail deer. Other typical wildlife that may be encountered includes squirrels, raccoons, armadillos and a variety of bird species. When venturing to our parks closer to the coastline, like Matagorda Bay Nature Park, the types of wildlife will include the above mentioned species in addition to a long list of unique coastal dwelling species like sand crabs and fish. Matagorda is also a popular wintertime destination for sighting hundreds of bird species as it is part of the migratory route.
Do your parks have poisonous snakes? What should I do if I see one?
LCRA parks provide the opportunity to see a variety of wildlife including snakes, both non-venomous and venomous varieties. Snakes are protected just like all other wildlife found in LCRA's parks and are to be seen but not touched.

If you encounter a snake, safely vacate the area and DO NOT attempt to touch the animal. Usually, it will leave the area on its own. If you encounter a snake that will not leave a public area of a park, call the LCRA Ranger Dispatch at 866-527-2267.
Can we bring our horses to LCRA's parks and ride them around the area?
Equestrian trails are available in some of LCRA's developed parks. In some of LCRA's recreation areas equestrian use is permitted, but there are no designated trails. See a list of parks that allow equestrian use. The most popular LCRA park for horseback riding is McKinney Roughs Nature Park, which has several horse-friendly trails.
Can we bring our dogs to LCRA parks? Are there special rules for dogs?
All pets must be kept on leashes at all times while in the designated camping and picnicking areas. Outside the designated camping and picnicking areas, pets must be kept under their owners' direct control.

If you are planning to stay in a cabin at one of our parks, contact the park directly for specific rules regarding pets indoors.