FAQs - LCRA - Energy, Water, Community FAQs - LCRA - Energy, Water, Community

LCRA Parks

Frequently asked questions

For additional information on park reservations, please visit Reserve America or call 855-392-7638. For other park information, please call our parks hotline at 512-473-3366.


How are LCRA parks different from Texas State Parks?

The Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) owns about 11,000 acres of parkland along the Colorado River stretching from San Saba County to Matagorda County. This land comprises more than 40 parks offering a wide variety of activities and amenities. A number of these parks are operated by LCRA staff, while others are operated by third parties, which include private companies and local government agencies. LCRA parks are funded by park fee revenue rather than taxes.

Can I volunteer at LCRA parks?

LCRA parks offer both volunteer and paid park host positions. To learn more, visit our Park Hosts page.

Are pets allowed at LCRA parks?

Yes! LCRA welcomes visitors to bring their pets to LCRA parks, as long as the animals remain on leashes in the camping and picnic areas. In off-leash areas, pets must be kept under their owners’ immediate control.

Dogs are not allowed in the Airstreams or beach bungalows; however, pet-friendly cabins are available at Black Rock Park and Lake Bastrop South Shore Park.

Equestrian users may enjoy multiuse trails at Grelle Recreation AreaMcKinney Roughs Nature ParkMuleshoe Bend Recreation AreaPedernales River Nature Park and Shaffer Bend Recreation Area.

Can I carry a firearm onto LCRA park property? Is it open carry or does it have to be concealed?

Handguns may be carried in accordance with Texas law. Possession of any other firearm is not permitted in LCRA parks.

Where can I view a complete list of park rules?

Please view our park rules and regulations. Before hitting the water, be sure to check out our helpful safety tips.

How can I report a safety or maintenance concern?

We take safety very seriously. If you have a concern, please let us know through our Contact LCRA form or by calling LCRA parks at 512-473-3366.

How may I acknowledge or commemorate a loved one through LCRA Parks?

The LCRA Parks Tribute Program offers the opportunity to purchase an honorary item to display in one of our parks. Please contact [email protected] for more details.


How can I check if the park I want to visit is open? Where can I see if burn bans are in effect?

Hours of operation are listed on each park page. Visit our Park Alerts page to view the latest burn ban information, park closures and other important alerts. When a burn ban is in effect, raised fire pits with charcoal or propane are permitted, but use of wood is prohibited.

Do you offer discounts to seniors and people with disabilities?

Seniors 65 years and older and individuals with disabilities qualify for discounted daily entry fees ($2 per person) and discounted annual park passes ($100 per person).

Do you offer annual park passes? Will my Texas State Parks Pass or Travis County Parks Annual Permit be accepted?

We offer an LCRA Parks Pass that covers your entry fee for one calendar year (Jan. 1-Dec. 31). Our annual pass is $150 for adults, $100 for seniors or people with disabilities, or $240 for equestrian and horse use. We are not able to honor passes from other park systems. For more information or to purchase a pass, visit our reservation site or call 855-392-7638.

If I pay entry fees at one park, do I have to pay again at another park on the same day?

No, entry fees are good for the entire day at any park operated by LCRA.

How do I schedule a group or special event at an LCRA park? Will I need a permit?

LCRA parks offer rental halls and pavilions for group activities – such as Scout troop camping trips, family reunions, weddings or organized trail runs – at Black Rock Park, Lake Bastrop North Shore Park, Lake Bastrop South Shore Park, Matagorda Bay Nature Park and McKinney Roughs Nature Park. Any organized group activity involving 20 or more individuals on LCRA land requires a land-use permit. Learn more.


Do I have to have a fishing license to fish at LCRA parks?

Yes, a valid Texas Fishing License is required at all LCRA parks.

What type of watercraft rentals are available?

Our non-motorized watercrafts include canoes, kayaks, stand-up paddle boards and corcls (small, round watercrafts ideal for younger paddlers). We also offer inflatable paddle sports through Greenbelt Outdoors. Our motorized rental options include Ultraskiffs, a single-occupant watercraft with a trolling motor, pontoon boats through Float On and donut boats for picnics though Love & Boat.

Visit our Activities page to view which rentals are available at our various parks. Rental pricing can be found on individual park pages.

How can I check if a boat ramp is open?

You can check the status of each of our boat ramps by visiting our Public Boat Ramp Information page. While all LCRA-operated ramps are open 24 hours, not all will be lit overnight.

Can we ride ATVs, UTVs or golf carts in the parks?

Non-authorized UTVs and ATVs are not permitted in the parks. Golf carts are permitted at Matagorda Bay Nature Park but must be registered in Matagorda County and fully insured. For persons with mobility issues, please contact the park directly.
Private UTV tours are available at McKinney Roughs Nature Park.


Do you have camping supplies and food for sale?

We have a Camp Store, which offers a small selection of camping supplies, snacks and souvenirs, at the following parks: Lake Bastrop North Shore Park, Lake Bastrop South Shore Park, Matagorda Bay Nature Park and McKinney Roughs Nature Park.

We also offer tent rentals with sleeping cots at Muleshoe Bend Recreation Area, Lake Bastrop North Shore Park and Lake Bastrop South Shore Park.

Do you sell firewood? Can I bring my own firewood?

We sell firewood at select parks, and you are more than welcome to bring your own! Campfires are allowed only in established fire rings, contained camp stoves, raised fire pits with no wood, and grills. Check individual park pages for rules at specific parks. Please note that when a burn ban is in effect, use of wood is prohibited.